Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The End of Canning

It's Wednesday and the clean up continues.  These need to be carried to the concrete-block storeroom in the basement (pictures once I get them all tucked in-?):


It rained last night.  Because it's an old house, rain dripped in through the sun roof in the kitchen (which I love--thank you, previous owners!). 



That meant the Ajax-crusted pots on the floor caught some moisture and an extra dose of soaking.  Now they're polished and ready for another go.


Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to bring in the clean beach towels we'd used on the floor.  The sun is out, so perhaps I'll overcome what Laura calls my "old-timers" and remember to bring them in later today.


On my way back in the house, I was motivated to wash the floor in the laundry/mud room.  Washing it on my hands and knees, I realized it needs some TLC.  I am looking for a good product to replenish and protect the real wood here:


and here, on our two front doors:


Please recommend a product in the comments here. I may have time to work on them before the schools call me in to substitute.
Here are yesterday's eggs... which I will take to friends at church tonight (barring "old-timers").


And pears we have yet to process or give away.  They are delicious: crisp and sweet!


What I don't have a picture of is the fun I had teaching the new calves to drink out of the water trough at the barn yesterday.  They spend the day in the pasture.  At night Grace and Laura lock them in jugs, feed them two quarts of milk and keep them there until the next 12-hour feeding.  It was so hot yesterday the little guys were bawling incessantly. 

I climbed the fence and stuck my fingers out to Laura's calf.  He took hold and sucked.  Leading him slowly, we walked to the water trough and I lowered my fingers into the water, then removed them.  It took a couple of times for each calf, but they downed a significant amount of water.  What I couldn't have taken a picture of was the Holstein steers bumping my behind with their heads and licking behind my knees!  Ugh.  The reward of befriending them with apples.  Grabbing hold of the barn with my free hand, I was lucky to stay out of the watering trough myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment