Friday, September 7, 2012

Middle of Harvest

The Big Guy and I spent Wednesday afternoon and all day yesterday harvesting corn.  Only one of the three properties has been set aside as a loss.  The others have had average to better than average yields and we thank God for that!


When we work together, tBG unloads as we drive across the field (about 3.5-4.0 miles per hour). Yesterday's yield was so heavy I couldn't make it back from the bins before he was ready to unload again.  Good thing he had a book to read!
The Big Guy' view (from the combine) of the All-For-One (that's me) driving the tractor and grain cart. 

 
My view driving to the grain bins.

My dangling feet (they don't reach the floor)-!

Unloading.

The switchboard.  It's just a matter of turning the "drag" on and off each time.
Yesterday was a long day. We harvested from the time the dew burned off the fields until I left for a 4:00 meeting at the elementary school.  Grace finished making beef stroganoff for supper.  Rachael, Laura and I drove to Muscatine for a sewing class with the extension office.  On the way there, we helped the Big Guy shuffle equipment to another field.  Laura's calf needed fed when we got home.

This morning Laura and I helped Grace with her calf.  The little guys got real food in the bottom of their milk buckets for the first time. 
Breakfast in the barn.
On our way back to the house from the barn, what did I see but the towels that got rained on (again). After a run through the spin cycle, they're in the dryer.  I hope they make it back to the closet...

No comments:

Post a Comment