Friday, January 22, 2010

Night Shift

No, there aren't pictures. That's because it's dark. I just came in from the 3:00 a.m. lambing shift. The Big Guy went out around 11:00 to feed the bottle babies. I woke shortly before 3.  Unable to sleep, I turned off  my 5:00 a.m. alarm and climbed out of bed.

Yes, I said  bottle "babies." After watching one of the ewes paw and pace all day, she dropped triplets in a back alley this afternoon. They couldn't have been there more than 45 minutes, but by the time I found them they were cold, wet, and somewhat trampled. Once again there was a great cacophony--minus that of lambs. They were too traumatized to bleat. The Big Guy and 15-year-old Grace came into the barn just in time to help sort things out and get the right ewe in the jug.

The Big Guy promised to take the younger girls to piano while I took Matthew to the orthodontist, so Grace and I talked through intubating. We had just prepared the milk when the Big Guy returned. Matthew and I took off for his appointment.

As of my most recent visit to the barn, the youngest and smallest of the new triplets is the only one doing well. The one we assume is the firstborn still isn't standing (12 hours later). He will not last long. The other is clearly a bottle baby at this point. And the quads? They're hale and healthy--for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment